Tyranny of Dragons
Bill's 5th Edition D&D Game.
Variant Backgrounds for PCs
Courtier, Variant Noble
You were either born to power or have risen to a position of small political power at the court or political arena of your choice. You may not have the ear of the rich and powerful but you aspire to it. Instead of the Skill Proficiencies for Noble you instead choose to replace History with either Intimidation or Insight.
Failed Paladin, Variant Soldier Rank
From an early age, you always wanted to be a Paladin. You trained hard, were properly respectful of the Gods and when the time came, you were found wanting. For whatever reason you were not elevated to the status of a Paladin. Since then you try and make up for it by training harder than the others, and retaining your Faith (or not!). You are able to access Temple Precincts where your holy symbol is recognised. Possession: You carry a holy symbol and/or prayer book as well as the basic soldier kit.
Expelled Acolyte, Variant Acolyte
You were never that attentive during lessons at the Temple and if there was any trouble you were always the prime suspect. It was a matter of time until you got kicked out or ran away. Instead of the Skill Proficiencies for Acolyte you can choose to replace Insight with Deception.
Radical, Variant Sage
The Truth is out there. Everyone's hides it but secret organisations run everything - the Harpers, Zhentarim, you name it.. You're convinced they're behind everything. Instead of the Arcana Skill Proficiency, you can replace it with that of Investigation
The factions available for play in Tyranny of Dragons:
- The Harpers is a scattered network of spellcasters and spies who advocate equality and covertly oppose the abuse of power.
- The Order of the Gauntlet is composed of faithful and vigilant seekers of justice who protect others from the depredations of evildoers.
- The Emerald Enclave is a widespread group of wilderness survivalists who preserve the natural order while rooting out unnatural threats.
- The Lords’ Alliance is a loose coalition of established political powers concerned with mutual security and prosperity.
- The Zhentarim is an unscrupulous shadow network that seeks to expand its influence and power throughout Faerûn